Re: Monitor broke?

> Does anyone have any idea what a monitor which has been adversly affected
> by Xfree86 would look like?  My 17" has gone bright purple -- as if one of
> the color guns is screwed up.  It's under warrenty;  it'll be repaired for
> free.
> 	I've just heard that incorrectly config'ing XF86 can screw up yer
> monitor,  so if that's what I've done I'd like to fix it or switch to a
> commercial Xserver,  etc...

Well, I'd be very surprised to learn a bad XF86Config file can blow out
one of your color guns. OK, possibly the electron beam benders (or the
amplifyers for them), but the electron guns? Seems _very_ unlikely to
me.

Oh, and I've never seen a monitor that was broken by bad XF86Config files.
And I've seen quite a few broken XF86Config files (for many different
monitors) :). I _have_ seen a "purple" monitor, though, but that was
"out of the box". Then the computer shop admitted to not even
opening the Monitor boxes, to see if the monitors actually work.
They still claim they try to see if the computers they sell do
boot, but I very much doubt even that claim.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj