thread support?

I have heard a lot of confusing things about thread support lately. I am
writing a program which will eventually have seperate threads and if anyone
could clear some things up for me, I would really appreciate it!

Does a "stock" Debian 1.3.1 install support threads? If not, what packages
or libraries do I need to obtain?

Are there seperate considerations for X ? I read somthing that was talking
about thread support under X, but I couldn't figure out how it related to
non-X thread support. Does Debian's Xlib or some other package support
threads?

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject. Please, consider me a
complete novice when replying.

Chris
Chris R. Martin              Email: crmartin@tamu.edu
Computer Engineering (EE)    WWW: http://http.tamu.edu/~crm7479/
Texas A&M University         "If you must have delusions, at least have the
			      good ones..." - Marcus, B5.