losing track

Hi,

I run debian 1.3/kernel 2.0.30 and have PCMCIA card 3C562D/563D.
I am trying to access the network.

I began installing pcmcia-cs 2.9.5-3 together with pcmcia-modules
2.9.5-3. So I had to upgrade to kernel 2.0.30, which I did.
This still gave problems when starting PCMCIA (it finds the adapter,
but says 'loading failed, the module symbols from linux-2.0.30 don't
match your linux-2.0.30')

So I got the kernel-source to recompile pcmcia. I needed dpkg-dev to
use dpkg-source to extract the kernel-sources (dpkg-source -x) But this
required unstable versions of it, which needed again other unstable
 versions.

So, every (unstable) package I try to install complains about
dependencies, e.g.

dpkg-dev --> dpkg -->  binutils --> gcc --> cpp --> ncurses, and so on.

Is this the normal way to do this ?

Regards,
Marc
Marc.Fleureck@cmlag.fgov.be