Re: How to multitask in X-windows?

ImmortaL writes:

>Actually your both right because my question can go both ways it doesnt
>matter they both are helpful BUT,i tried both ways and they dont work for
>example if i enter X and start netscape and then go back to Xterm i cant
>enter any commands its locked until i kill netscape,i tried it only with
>Xterm i opened two Xterms but the first one didnt work after i opened the

you need to put the application in the background by following the
cammand with a &.

% netscape &
% xterm &

>second one.Then tried the Virtual way Ctrl-alt-Fx and when i did that and a
>new logon screen came on and then when i went back to X there was no X
>there was a shell screen and it showed all the usual commands when X starts
>and it was locked.and i cant do anything so i have to kill it.Do you have
>to be running XDM for it to work?Or do you have any idea why this wont
>work?

If you started X from VC 2 for example that is were all the X output messages
will go but with the default setup the actual X display will be on VC-7.
So do a Ctrl-alt-F7 to get back to X.

Brian
--
Mechanical Engineering				    servis@purdue.edu