Re: what is the sticky bit?

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: peter@genxl.com at ~AMSCCSSW
Date: 10/1/97 9:57AM
To: James M. Lewis at ~TENCCT1
*To: debian-user@lists.debian.org at ~AMSCCSSW
Subject: Re: what is the sticky bit?

Actually, the sticky bit used to be for binary programs.  It caused the
program to be retained in the swap file after it was first run.  This
would cause the prog to run faster the next time it was invoked.  Way
back when (in the olden days), unix would exec a program by copying it
into swap and then allowing the page mechanism to page it into memory
for execution.  This is not the case anymore.  As far as I know, the
sticky bit on an executable file does nothing.  On some systems, the
sticky bit on a _directory_ means that only the owner of a file in that
directory can remove it.  DEC OSF1 is like this, for example.

jim

Author:  peter@genxl.com at ~AMSCCSSW
Date:    10/1/97 9:57 AM

Paul Miller wrote:

> I know this is a really stupid question.. but what is the sticky bit?
>
> -Paul

The sticky bit allows a UID to be the owner of a file while
that file is being accessed by that user. In essence if a user
opens a file, that user will be the owner of that file until
it is closed. After closing, the file goes back to its original
state.

**** I THINK ****

Peter