Re: Printer-setup

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Lucas wrote:

> I am presently using a2ps and gs-alladin to format text files into
> postscript and then
> print them using gs.  If I create a script containing the gs command, this
> could be
> my print filter in the printcap file (don't remember if it's "if" or "of").
>
> My problem is that whenever I issue the gs command to print something
> formatted
> by a2ps, the output always includes one extra blank page and the last
> printed page
> (before the blank one) always looks like the last line of print has been
> cut off by
> about a fraction of a millimeter.
>
> My theory is that the papersize used by either program is incompatible. I
> believe gs
> is using what it calls "letter" defined as 8.5x11 and a2ps is using
> something with some
> code which I can't remember but which looks like an ISO standard ... or
> something.

Hi, i am the maintainer of gs-aladdin.
Both gs-aladdin and a2ps use the libpaper library to set the papersize
(in brief: they use the paper which appears in /etc/papersize), so
the papersizes should be compatible. (Are you using old versions
of the packages?)

Anyway, you can select the papersize for gs-aladdin with
option -sPAPERSIZE=a_known_paper_size, e.g.,
  gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=lj_something test.gs
or with the options -sDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=xxx and -sDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=yyy
(probably there is also an option to select the papersize for a2ps,
but it is not installed here...)

You could also prove to redirect the output of a2ps to a file
and to use ghostview to check if it looks correctly.

Thanks,

Marco

Marco Pistore                             email: pistore@di.unipi.it
University of Pisa                               marco@pisa.sbn.it
                                            tel: ++39 (50) 40031
Gnu/Debian Linux & TeX/Latex fan            fax: ++39 (50) 887 226