Undefined reference to '...'

  I've encountered a condition in GNU C++, where I define the following
template function...

template<class T>
class ancestor {
private:
public:
 ancestor()
 ~ancestor()
};

template<class T>
ancestor<T>::ancestor()
{
}

and use it in a main program...

main()
{
  ancestor<int> something;

  something...
}

  The program compiles without errors, but when the linker is to link the
object files, it is persistent that the reference to 'something' within
the main program is undefined to 'ancestor<...>'.  Every reference to
the object 'ancestor<int>' is reported as undefined in the program.

  Does anyone have a clue as to why this occurs, and if there is a cure
to this?