Re: Installation with BT-930

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Egon Schmid wrote:
>
> > Can you boot from CD-ROM?  A WD-7000 isn't on your hardware list. Which
> > debian-version is it?
> Yes, as I said I insert the CD-ROM and the installation programm comes up
> without any problem -- so the controller works!
>
> No a WD-7000 isn't on my list because I havn't such a thing inside my box.
> What kind of controller is it?  Thought it should be any emulation of
> the internel ZIP-drive???
>
> It is Debian GNU/Linux 1.3.1 from the German manufacturer J.F. Lehmann.
> I installed two other boxes (non SCSI) without trouble from this CD.

The Debian installation kernel comes with almost all of the SCSI drivers
"built in" so that a CD installation can be done by almost everyone. The
WD-7000 driver is getting some response to its hardware probing from
another device. This is most often caused by and ethernet card with
control registers in the address space expected to be inhabited by the
SCSI card. There are boot parameters that can "reserve" the address space
(so it doesn't get probed by the WD-7000 driver) and assign it to a
specific device.

For information on this subject look at the BootPrompt-HOWTO.

Luck,

Dwarf