Re: My CD-ROM ain't workin'

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Al Matthews wrote:

> Hi there, I'm real new to Debian (Linux also), and I can't get Linux to
> reconize my CD-ROM as a block device.  I try mounting it on the command
> line by typing in "mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cd driver /cdrom".

This isn't gonna work.

You need to figure out how your CDROM is attached to the system:  is it on
a SoundBlaster card, an IDE card, or a SCSI card?  In the latter two
cases, its correct entry would be

/dev/hda (or hdb) for an IDE drive where the letter (a,b,c) is determined
like this: If it's the master drive on the first channel,  it's hda.  If
it's the slave on the first channel,  it's hdb.  If it's the master on
the second,  it's hdc,  etc....

/dev/scd0 (or scd1,  scd2,  etc.) where the number is (I beleive) the
number of the drive on the scsi chain.

Usually the /dev/cdrom entry is a symlink (made via ln -s) to the correct
ide/scsi drive.

So then once you've figured out all that info,  you mount it (assuming the
directory /cdrom exists) with:

	mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda /cdrom
where you can replace /dev/hda with the appropriate /dev entry.

	If this is confusing,  please email for clarification.

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu
			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/