My CD-ROM ain't workin'

Hi there, I'm real new to Debian (Linux also), and I can't get Linux to reconize my CD-ROM as a block device.  I try mounting it on the command line by typing in "mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cd driver /cdrom".
I have a Panasonic type CD-ROM (2x).  I've tried using all the drivers that are listed as a cdrom device driver in the /dev but none of them work.  The farthest I've gotten was an error message of "mount: The kernel dose not recognize /dev/cd driver as a valid block device.  Every cd driver I've tried had a "b" in front of the file permissions on the ls -l (LS -L, only in lowercase) listing.  I have successfully mounted a DOS floppy with no problems, but this is stumping me.  If I can't get this to work, then I can't install anything of the Debian package besides the basic package (I ordered only two CD-ROMs).  I don't even have the man command on my system yet.
What i'm thinking is that somehow the Kernel isn't set for CD-ROM's.  I, however, don't know how to check this or even change it.

Your help will be greatly appreaciated,
Ken Fuller