Re: DISK DEFRAGMENTER - PARTITIONS :-((

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Zouave wrote:

> To install Linux Debian 1.3.1 on my system (now running windows 95) I have
> to do 2 things:
> 1) FORMAT my HDD and create 2 partitions, one for W95, one for Linux
> 2) Split my actual partition, without erasing anything, with the
> application FIPS.EXE
>
> I prefer the 2nd one because I CANNOT format my drive.
> But to split my partition I need to do a DEFRAG of my HDD. There are
> HIDDEN-SYSTEM*-READ_ONLY files at the end of the drive, so Windows' Defrag
> can't move this files to the begining.
>
> --Do you have any DEFRAGMENTER or utility to know WHICH is the file that is
> annoying me at the end of the HDD, or to move it? If not, any other
> solution than formatting the drive?

The usual culprit is the virtual memory file used by Win 95.  As the fips
documentation states, you should disable virtual memory before defragging.
Other than that, the old DOS PC-Tools was pretty good at displaying hidden
files, along with their attributes.  I know Windows Explorer displays the
file names, but I don't recall if it can also display attributes.

Bob

----
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen