assigning file systems to partitions

I know how to make partitions with cfdisk, but where in the
installation process do I assign a file system to a partition?

For example, suppose I want to put /, /root, /usr, /var on four
separate partitions and the rest of LINUX on a fifth partition.
Where and how do I tell LINUX to do this??

I'm installing Debian 1.3.1 from cdrom and necessary floppies.

                       Douglas Potter, Columbia, S.C.