Linux Termservers was:Re: How many modems ?

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:44:49 -0400, Jason Costomiris wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 23, 1997 at 07:41:52AM -0500, Dave Cinege wrote:
>: >[1] A studly enough box to support 48 modems.
>:
>: Depends on dump or smart serial board. Smart, 486 66 should be
comfortable,
>: dumb, pentium class...maybe 100. 16MB should be OK. With the price of
>: memory it won't kill you to throw in 32 either.
>
>Ahh..  answering the phone is one thing.  You need the "studliness" to handle
>the pppd's and the routing.  Articles I've read suggest having 2 MB RAM
>per modem, after OS overhead..  What has your experience been?

Hmm you caught me here. I gave a generic answer for the memory (for a 8-16
port set-up) instead of thinking it out for the full 48  : P

Just did some test, and total VM size (as listed by ps) for the PPP session is
about 1950K.

Actual usage is about 250K locked, and 325K listed as shared. (Just called in
to my termserver) I've not worked with big enough ppp set-ups to set how well
this shared area actully works out, but possibly you could survive with 500K
per port. So 32mb (24mb for 48 ppps, 4mb ramdisk, 4mb kernel) might do it. I'd
like to find out for sure myself.

Either way memory prices are under $100 for 32mb, so this is basiclly a moot
point.

BTW how much ram does a PM3 have in it? I've heard reports that the PM2
(maybe 3) was only an AMD 486 DX 40.

>: Anything you could build and sell for $2K I wouldn't classify as a server.
>: : P
>
>Oh, but you didn't see the newsbeast I built last weekend...

As I said...
(where's the RAID?? Adaptec? You must be kidding....)