Re: boot errors

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Lawrence wrote:

> > > I have restalled debian 1.3.  When I boot it, I found the following
> > > errors after the PPP copyright mesg.
> > >   SIOCIFADDR no such device
> > >   SIOCIFNETMASK no such device
> > >   SIOCIFBRDADDR no such device
> >
> > I see these too. I don't think it's anything to worry about. It has to do
> > with lack of a network device. Like myself your machine probably has no
> > ethernet card and relies on ppp for its net connection. As ppp is not
> > active during this portion of the boot, these errors result from the
> > this attempt.
>
> Should I configure the ip address, netmask and broadcast address if I am
> only using dialup PPP?

Well, that will not help, and may cause difficulties for the pppd daemon.
Those items should be configured in the options file for pppd, but only if
they are not determined by your ISP.

In any case this will not quiet these error messages, but you should not
be concerned about them either.

Luck,

Dwarf