Re: Hard links to a directory in a chroot environment

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 15:08:27 MDT Al Youngwerth (alberty@apexxtech.com)
 wrote:

> Here's what I want to do:
>
> Have restricted ftp access for users (chroot to their home directory).
>
> Allow certain users to be webmasters, these users should have a link in
> their home directory to a common directory that they can all read/write to.
>
> I'm using wu-ftpd, ext2fs file system and debian 1.3. This should work
> according to the documentation that I've read. But apparently ext2fs does
> not allow hard links to directories. Is this true? Is there any other way
> to implement this?

Hard linked directories are bad, it would taker longer than that to explain. What you can do however is mount an nfs-looped directory.
Ie:
  o add "/my/exported/directory *.localnet (rw)" to /etc/exports
  o (re)start nfsd (/etc/init.d/netstd_nfs stop; /etc/init.d/nfs start)
  o mount it in your chrooted environment:
	mount localhost:/my/exported/directory /restrictedroot/foo

For maximum security in chrooted environments:
  o don't mount /proc in the chrooted tree
  o don't have setuid root files in the chrooted tree
  o don't have devices in the chrooted tree

Phil.