RE: [Q][Thanks] How to Print in DEBIAN

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Vladislav Papayan x285 wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to thank all for the valuable input.
> Yesterday, I returned Lexmark 7000 and bought
> Epson Color 800 Stylus (the color intensity is better
> on this printer anyways, however, to be fare -- Lexmark
> has laser quality black&white).
>
> I still would like to know how to configure it for linux.
> Here is my printcap file (someone asked to see it).

> # /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
> # You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
> # your own filters. See the printcap(5) manual page for further
> # details.
>
> lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry
>         :lp=/dev/lp1
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
>         :af=/var/log/lp-acct
>         :lf=/var/log/lp-errs
>         :pl#66
>         :pw#80
>         :pc#150
>         :mx#0
>         :sh
>
> # rlp|Remote printer entry
> #         :lp=
> #         :rm=remotehost
> #         :rp=remoteprinter
> #         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote
> #         :mx#0
> #         :sh

> My ultimate goal is to be able to go to StarOffice print button
> say print -- and it will print (in color if I asked to).
>
> I also would like the linux box to be the print server (it is already
> a samba server) -- but that's the next step.
>

> I also think that my LPT port in not lpt1 but lpt2 (I am not sure how
> to verify that from linux).

Look at the boot message (dmesg:more)  for something like:

lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)

> As I mentioned earlier I installed gs-alladin.deb and magicfileters --
> but I do not know where to go next.  I read printcap manual page
> but it talks about a simple bash script to print somehow to the printer

You will have to configure magicfilter.  I use apsfilter rather than
magicfilter, so can't help you there (I had to rename the filters to
reflect my printer, since it wasn't one on the built-in list in
apsfilter).  Configuring magicfilter should make the necessary changes to
/etc/printcap.

Bob

----
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen