Re: debian ftp - why there is no unstable

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Darin Johnson wrote:

> What's the "passive mode" option for dselect (ftp) anyway?
> I've never been able to find an explanation of it.

When you are using "normal" ftp, the server initiates the connection for
the data (data is sent through a different connection from the commands).
When using "passive" ftp, the client does this. The difference is, that
only passive ftp works from behind a firewall.

It's a protocol issue. It's good if you don't notice the difference.

Remco