elvis and x11

hi, all --

a quick question: is it only me or is it impossible to start the x11
version of elvis editor from the fvwm and afterstep menus?
Note: executing "vi -G x11 &" works from the xterm or from the rxvt,
and "exec xterm -n vi -e vi &" works from the menus (pop-up root
menu!), but "exec vi -G x11 &" doesn't (well it starts it up and
backgrounds it- I can see it from ps-aux- but can fg it). Also "exec
xterm -e vi -G x11 &" does work but it opens up an uneeded (I should
really say unwanted) xterm and gui elvis window.
Any ideas?

TIA
damir

P.S. system is debian 1.3  w. libc5 (pure) and bash2.00, elvis 2.0-8.