XFree86 3.3 SVGA and S3 Virge/VX

Hi.

I'm using the XFree86 3.3 SVGA server with my diamond 3D3000 video card
with 4 megs of VRAM,  and I can only "startx" once.  That is,  if I exit
X,  and type "startx" again on the console,  the screen goes black and the
machine hangs.  CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and the Vulcan Nerve Pinch have no
effect whatsoever and my only recourse is to press the reboot button on
the front of the machine.

Today I downloaded the XF86_SVGA 3.3.1 binary from ftp.xfree86.org and
installed it;  the behavior is the same.  I've found,  however,  that if I
keep *both* servers around and switch back and forth between them (by
renaming one to something else and naming the one in use XF86_SVGA),  I
can "startx" as many times as I please.

Any clues?

Also,  the /tmp/.X11-unix/X0= file still exists when I exit X,  and I have
to manually rm it.  This doesn't affect the locking up tho ...

						Thanks.

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu