Compiling TWIN

Has anyone compiled TWIN successfully on a Debian system?

I've followed the instructions (I'm pretty sure), but I
keep getting errors that ldconfig couldn't find libtwin
during the make process because it is trying to link with
the library.  However, I can't link with the library
until I create it, and I can't create the library, according
to the make file, until I link it.  So it appears to me
to be a catch-22.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Serice