Re: awe-drv package

kestrel@aye.net writes:

> I think something has changed since I last used the awe-* packages.
> I am runing the install.sh like instructed but even after that I am
> not getting any prompt about awe32 support in low-level on sound.
> Any ideas why not or if I can just add the line to the .config file
> manually? (and if so how its worded).

I use the patch version 0.3.3e.

I have the following options sitting in my .config file for
configuring sound:

CONFIG_SOUND=m
# CONFIG_PAS is not set
CONFIG_SB=y
CONFIG_ADLIB=y
# CONFIG_GUS is not set
# CONFIG_MPU401 is not set
# CONFIG_UART6850 is not set
# CONFIG_PSS is not set
# CONFIG_GUS16 is not set
# CONFIG_GUSMAX is not set
# CONFIG_MSS is not set
# CONFIG_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_TRIX is not set
# CONFIG_MAD16 is not set
# CONFIG_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_MAUI is not set
CONFIG_AUDIO=y
CONFIG_MIDI=y
CONFIG_YM3812=y
SBC_BASE=220
SBC_IRQ=5
SBC_DMA=1
SB_DMA2=5
SB_MPU_BASE=0
SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
DSP_BUFFSIZE=65536
CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_ACI_MIXER is not set
CONFIG_AWE32_SYNTH=y

> Also I use isapnp since I have a PnP card and no PnP bios, does this
> mean sound should be compiled as a module so the awe drivers get
> loaded after isapnp runs?

PnP is not enough for the awe32 to be initialized correctly.  I have
one and still need isapnp to initialize the wave-synthesizer on the
card.

Yes, you need to compile sound as a module.  Make sure that pnpdump
detect all 3 i/o ports for the wave part of your sound card, here is
how this part of my /etc/isapnp.conf looks like:

  (CONFIGURE CTL0048/51462 (LD 2
  #     ANSI string -->WaveTable<--

  # Multiple choice time, choose one only !

  #     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
  #       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
  #             Minimum IO base address 0x0620
  #             Maximum IO base address 0x0620
  #             IO base alignment 1 bytes
  #             Number of IO addresses required: 4
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))

  #       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
  #       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
  #             Minimum IO base address 0x0620
  #             Maximum IO base address 0x0680
  #             IO base alignment 32 bytes
  #             Number of IO addresses required: 4
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))
  (IO 1 (BASE 0x0A20))
  (IO 2 (BASE 0x0E20))

  #     End dependent functions
  (ACT Y)
  ))

        Torsten

--
"What a depressingly stupid machine"
                              The Restaurant at the End of the Universe