fdisk vs cfdisk to partition 3.1G drive

Hello.  This is a query more out of curiosity than a need.

I just received a 3.1GB Western Digital Caviar EIDE drive.  I slapped it on
as Master of the second IDE channel of my motherboard, and after a bit of
messing around with the BIOS (leaving the configuration in automatic mode,
but specifying LBA), Linux recognized it ok.

Fdisk didn't want to partition this disk according to my wishes.
Repeatably, fdisk wanted to allocate only 1024 cylinders to a partition.
However cfdisk did it just as I wanted it, and graphically.  Is this a bug
in fdisk?  A feature?

Now I have /home on a very large separate primary partition, and /usr/local
on another fairly large partition.  However, I linked /usr/src to the
directory (in a logical partition mounted as /usr2) /usr2/src.  Is there
something special I can do so this is transparent to the ls and dir
commands?  When I type "dir /usr/src" I get a nice listing of the link, but
when I type "dir /usr/src/" a listing is printed.  This seems lit must be an
FAQ, and I apologize, but I haven't run across it.

Another possible FAQ: How many logical partitions can I have?  Is it better
to have logical partitions than to do the link thing?

Alan

--

Alan E. Davis
Marianas High School