Subject: Re: 'tell' is missing from libc6
Author:  bcwhite@verisim.com at ~AMSCCSSW
Date:    9/19/97 9:45 AM

> > It appears the "tell(path)" command is missing from libc6.  What
> > should I be using instead?
>
> The only "tell" that I could find in libc-5.4.33 is the following one:
>
> file sysdeps/linux/tell.c:
>
> off_t
> tell (int fildes)
> {
>   return __lseek (fildes, 0, SEEK_CUR);
> }

That's the one.

> If that is the right function the replacement should be obvious using
> the syscall lseek, but you should prefer the use of ftell on FILE* if
> possible.

In this case, I don't have a FILE*; only a path number.

> If this is the wrong function you should tell us what tell(path)
> is doing, I haven't heard of such a function yet.

To quote "C: The Complete Reference" (by Herbert Shildt):

  The function "tell()" is part of the UNIX-like I/O system and is not
  defined by the ANSI standard.

Thus, I think libc6 should include it.  It appears that libc6 now includes
a manpage for "ltell" (which, I agree, is what the function should have been
named in the first place).  However, for compatibility reasons, there should
be a "#define tell(a,b,c) ltell(a,b,c)" in <unistd.h>.

Can anybody confirm if "ltell" exists in libc5?

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )