RE: X connections refused between hosts (foo/unix:0 syntax)

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> On 18-Sep-97 David Wright wrote:
> >I've obviously missed something in the explanations of .Xauthority files
> >and MIT cookies. I have two Debian 1.3 machines, foo and bar with
> >essentially identical configurations, with few changes from how things
> >install themselves. I start X as user myself on foo. Typing xauth list
> >says foo/unix:0  MIT...1  a0b1... and so does xauth list :0 and xauth list
> >unix:0 and xauth foo/unix:0 but not xauth foo:0 which says nothing.
>
> Assuming foo is your local machine, what happens if you do xhost +bar then
> telnet to bar, export DISPLAY=foo:0.0 and then run an X program on bar?

Host-based access works fine, but I wanted to avoid that because the X
display should not be accessible to some users of foo, let alone those on
bar.

Looking at the books on this subject, e.g. Lui and Pearce page 79, Garfinkel
and Spafford page 527, I see examples like this:

foo% xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh bar xauth merge -

All this does is to stick the foo/unix:0  MIT...1  a0b1... line into
.Xauthority on bar. What I think I need is a command which massages
    foo/unix:0  MIT...1  a0b1...
into
    foo:0  MIT...1  a0b1...
so I can merge that into .Xauthority on bar.

Is that what I should be doing? Is that what everyone else does? I can't
help thinking I've missed something if none of the books/documentation
mentions this wrinkle.

Copying .Xauthority from a user's home directory to /root so that you can
start clients after suing to root must be a FAQ - it's even been asked on
this list in the past week. Surely some of these people must hit my
problem as soon as they run remote clients, or I've done something wrong?
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151