Re: MD5 passwords and su

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Lindsay Allen wrote:

> On 16 Sep 1997, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:
>
> > I just detected the MD5_CRYPT_ENAB option in /etc/login.defs and
> > enabled it.  Login works fine with the new passwords but su seems to
> > have no idea of MD5.
> >
> > Is there a working version of su for MD5 passwords?
> >
> > I have the following packages installed:
> >
> > shellutils_1.16-2 (containing su)
> > login_961025-2
> > passwd_961025-2
>
> This may not help you, but it is fixed in shellutils_1.16-5.deb, which is
> linked against libc6.

Alll programs linked against libc6 should work with MD5 passwords, but
unfortunatelly so far wu-ftp, ftpd, qpopper,and lots of other packages
arent ported to libc6 yet....
Btw the reason for this  (libc6 progs work with md5) it hat libcrypt in
libc6 supports md5_crypt transparently within crypt() ... login and passwd
had their own version of md5_crypt so they work with libc5 too...

Greg