Re: top doesn't understand multiple processors

--- You wrote:
When running top on my 2 cpu machine, I get some interesting states:

   12:12pm  up 18:03h,  5 users,  load average: 1.52, 0.76, 0.49
  CPU states: 90.2% user, 107.5% system,  0.9% nice, 0.0% idle
  Mem:  128044K av, 110520K used,  17524K free,  37088K shrd,  42576K buff
  Swap: 129020K av,      0K used, 129020K free             30244K cached

The total is approximately 200%, which makes sense.  Is there anything
to be done about this?

--- end of quote ---
http://www-isia.cma.fr/~forissie/smp_kernel_patch/ has a kernel patch and some
patched utilities (top and xosview) to make use of the new information.  top
will then show separate lines for each cpu.  I was using this before, but I've
upgraded to 2.0.31-pre-9 & haven't repatched my kernel source.  It did work the
last time I tried it.  Otherwise, my top display looks remarkably similar to
yours.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't really cause any problems, except that it
looks weird.  The fact that one CPU is reported as system time only, and not as
user time, is a known bug in the 2.0.x kernels, fixed in 2.1.x.

As far as your earlier message about what each CPU is being used for, I have no
idea how to track that down, though possibly you may be able to figure
something out with the kernel patch from the above web site.

HTH

Stephen Ryan               Debian GNU/Linux 1.3
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College