Problem with serial port?

I have just installed Debian version 1.3 on my computer.  When I attempt
to send 'at' commands to my modem through minicom there is a long delay of
about 45 seconds before what I typed appears on the screen and than
another 30 seconds before the modem responds.  My modem is connected to
what would be COM1 under DOS. Under Linux this is /dev/ttyS0 which is what
I am using.  As an example if I type ATZ in minicom the command will not
echo for approx 45 seconds.  The modem's response of OK takes another 30
seconds or so to appear.  This same behavior occurs no matter what
commands I issue to the modem.  Before installing Debian I used Slackware
and I was able to use this same hardware combination without any problems.

I switched my modem to /dev/ttyS1  (COM2) and it works normally.

I would appreciate any input as to what I can check to be able to get my
modem to work on /dev/ttyS0 as it did when I had Slackware running. Also,
COM1 works normally under WIN95. This tells me that the com port hardware
is working properly. I suspect that this is a configuration issue but I am
not sure where to look.

My modem is a USR Sportster and the com ports are both 16550A UART's.
The kernel version is 2.0.29. I even recompiled the kernel with serial
support built in as opposed to serial being a module as it is when first
installing a new Debian system.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to give me.

Bob