Re: Upgrade from an older Debian system ??

On Sep 16, Marc Fleureck wrote
> My system is Debian 1.2 with kernel 2.0.27 and a pcmcia
> 3c562/563 33.6 LAN/modem card (Olivetti echos p100d).
[...]
> I had just installed pcmcia-cs 2.9.5-3. Before there was no pcmcia package
> installed. Now  I have trouble starting the PCMCIA Card Services (it says:
> Card Services release does not match). The /sbin/cardmgr dates April 29
> and /lib/modules/2.0.27/pcmcia dates Dec 7 1996. Incompatible ?

Probably. The pcmcia-cs (card services software) needs to be compatible with
the pcmcia-modules package (which itself is built for a specific kernel
version).

You can upgrade your kernel to 2.0.29 or 30 and use the pcmcia-modules for
that kernel, or you can build your own pcmcia-modules packages from the
sources in pcmcia-source.

> The only problem is that I do not know how to proceed despite the advice
> given, that (using) dselect should do the rest of the upgrade to Debian
> 1.3.

dselect has various "access methods" to get to the packages, such as a CD
and an FTP one.

> What should I do now ? Which packages should I install and which not?
> If I use the Packages-file from the distribution site, then I must
> upgrade all my packages ? Ot could I have a mix of them ?

You can mix them, up to a certain extent; Debian's dependency mechanism will
prevent most (ideally: all) bad mixes.

> Without having an internet connection it is practically impossible to copy
> all those packages one by one --> floppy --> disk.

If you have a good (cheap & fast) network connection, it is probably best to
get your network up (see above), and then upgrade fully to 1.3.1 using the
FTP access method.

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,