Re: Interface to the vacation program?

Eloy A. Paris <eparis@ven.ra.rockwell.com> wrote:

: So, my question is: does anyone know if there is a WWW interface to the
: vacation program? I am thinking about a web page/CGI script that allows
: the user to specify his/her e-mail address and the vacation message
: and have the CGI run the vacation program for him. Later, when the user
: returns to the office he/she can access the same Web page to disable
: the vacation program (the CGI will remove the .forward file).
: This would be great!!!

OK, I did it myself. I wrote a CGI script in Perl and all you have to do
to make it work is to put it in your cgi-bin directory and point your
browser to it. Of course you need to have a Web server running for this
to work.

So far my tests indicate it works. The interface is very nice, much nicer
than vi and a Unix shell (for those that don't know a word about Unix).

Those who are interested just drop me a note and I'll e-mail the script.

I just had a one week vacation two weeks ago. I hope it is vacation time
again so I can use my own inventation :-)

I think this small project can be extended to write a small daemon that
listen on a TCP port for requests for enabling/disabling the vacation
message. This way a Web server is not neccesary. Any way, my stuff is
working...

See ya!

E.-

--