Re: Re[4]: Debian + PC with multi RS... port -> n x (text d

On 15 Sep 1997, TENCC01.LEWIS01 wrote:

> My experience is with hp terminals using enq-ack protocol.  When you
> send stuff to one of the "devices" (screen, printer port, mini-tape,
> etc.)

(does each of those terminals have that lot of ports?)

>       the keyboard gets locked for the duration of that transfer.
> Usually, this is not very long.  If the line is fast, you don't have
> much time to do anything between transfers.

Yes, apart from what's been added on the topic... draw open, change being
done, nothing but wait for the receipt to give away.

>                                             The program I wrote used
> binary transfers so we could dump raster graphics to the terminal
> printer.

[snip]

> If you limit the data to simple ascii print, you have a much better
> chance.  If the stuff you write is really short (less than 2k) then the
> time you can't type is going to be pretty short.

(I suppose it would really just be simple ascii print.)

>                          You have to know a *LOT* about the terminal
> you are going to use.  There are always some tricks that you have to
> learn that aren't in the manuals.  (These days, there isn't much in
> manuals anyway.)
>
> jim lewis

Mmmmm, about those Wyse terminals, I really hope the job could be done
with just the documented control codes :-)

     Thank you so much for nice info.

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>