Re: Best Ethernet Card

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 1997 at 01:09:24PM -0400, Dale Martin wrote:
> > The current wisdom says to avoid the 3com 3c905, and go with a DEC
> > "Tulip" based card.  I do know from personal experience that the 3c905
> > has problems - haven't tried a Tulip card yet, but will be using one
> > very soon.
>
> The Tulip cards seem to suffer from minimal braindamage.  They are cheap
> and fast.  Some people have driver problems which seem to be related to
> the way different models implement the SROM.  I've 10-T cards from DEC,
> Kingston, and Linksys without any trouble at all.  I would expect similar
> results from the 100Mb stuff.

 How does one determine from minimal catalog info what cards are
Tulip-based? I've been trying to figure that out for a while...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735      ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

  Modern deductive method: 1) Devise hypothesis. 2) Apply for grant.
  3) Perform experiments. 4) Revise hypothesis. 5) Backdate revised
                      hypothesis. 6) Publish.