Re: SB AWE 64 versus Soft. Syns. for making midi... Also, midi keybo

On Sun, Sep 14, 1997 at 03:15:12PM +0000, shawn.fumo@the-spa.com wrote:
> Hello everyone...

Hi!

> First of all, I noticed that the Sound Blaster AWE 64 is out, and is
> only about $100 in most stores. Does anyone know if this works
> alright under Linux/Debian yet?

I have SB AWE32pnp, and the SB64 upgrade software. This means, I have fully
functionality of a SB64pnp with my SB32. Wonder why? The main feature of the
SB64 is a new form of WaveTableSynthesis, that gives you more natural
sounds and 32 additional voices. However, these are software emulated
with windows driver. SB cares nuts about the linux community (they say,
the market is not important enough; we will see...), so we are on our own.
Driver for the AWE are there, but do not expect to have a working SB 64,
only 32 (the additional 32 voices are software emulated anyhow).

> I have noticed there are a couple of soft. syns. available for Linux,
> including KMidi, TiMidity, etc. Has anyone been able to compare the
> quality of these to the AWE64?

Do not expect a lot. Linux is young, and sound is not the most important
thing to have working (although I think it is *very* important :)

Software synthesis has performance problems. You have to process a lot of
memory, because good samples are big. The quality of the samples is most
important. The AwE64 as well as the AWE32 have the same basic samples, and
they *are* basic. The base drum is a peace of childrens toy, for example.

> I know that, in general, a card is a better solution. It'll carry
> the sound quality over to games, and also relieve the processor.
> But, I don't care too much about games right now, and would be
> pretty much shutting down any other big processes when converting the
> music. I have a 100mhz and 40 megs of Ram....

You need a card, or a very fast driver for your software solution
(if you want to have sound in real time :). I don't know if a software
solution for real time audio devices exist.

> I figure that maybe I can spend the money on a midi-compatable
> keyboard instead. Anyone with exp. on using one of those under
> Linux? I saw a keyboard for about $170 at Electronic Boutique, which
> was basically one devoted to Midi, without any samples built in. That
> seems to be the cheapest I can find which lets you connect it to a
> computer....?

If you want to be really cool, buy a keyboard with weighted keys (feeling
like a piano). Takes about $1000 :(. Seek a Keyboard with big keys (not the
baby ones), and with touch sensitive keys. A pedal is nice, as are
modulation and pitch bend function. You don't need any samples or demo songs
(burb), but a midi connection. Good keyboards have midi anyway.

> Also, I wouldn't be able to afford the AWE64 Gold card, so I'd be
> limited to 512k of sound ram unless I bought add-ons. I should be able
> to add as many custom samples as I need onto the hard drive with a
> soft. syn, right?

But a soft syn cannot process so many samples in real time, or can it?

> Well, thanks in advance, everyone. Sorry for all these newbie-ish
> questions, but I am sort of out of my element when it comes to this
> sound stuff, and been too busy lately to be able to look around as
> much as I'd like to.

Take a look for good cards in the Sound HOWTO, Hardware HOWTO, and look
which drivers come with the kernel. Buy the same card as the people have who
writes the driver :-) (best support)

> P.S. Of course if my $$$ keeps going the way it seems to be (down the
> drain) these questions may be moot..hehe.  I fear I'll have to use a
> sequencer without a keyboard and a soft. syn. without a sound card.
> But the scary thing, is that it might actually work! ;)

You will hear something, but may I ask a question?

Why don't you get a guitar for $100 and enjoy actually *making* music by
yourself. Computer music is bad to the ears at last :-/

Marcus
who also seeks a cheap midi keyboard :)

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."