SB AWE 64 versus Soft. Syns. for making midi... Also, midi keybo

Hello everyone...

Recently I have gotten interested in making my own midi music, after
stumbling across some software synthesizers for Win95: WinGroove and
Yamaha Soft Synthesizer. Was a mind-blowing difference in sound
compared to my lowly SB16... hehe.

Of course, they both had time limits and have since died on me. I'd
like to try some more serious and/or Linux stuff, and was curious on
some opinions for things.

First of all, I noticed that the Sound Blaster AWE 64 is out, and is
only about $100 in most stores. Does anyone know if this works
alright under Linux/Debian yet?

I have noticed there are a couple of soft. syns. available for Linux,
including KMidi, TiMidity, etc. Has anyone been able to compare the
quality of these to the AWE64?

I know that, in general, a card is a better solution. It'll carry
the sound quality over to games, and also relieve the processor.
But, I don't care too much about games right now, and would be
pretty much shutting down any other big processes when converting the
music. I have a 100mhz and 40 megs of Ram....

I figure that maybe I can spend the money on a midi-compatable
keyboard instead. Anyone with exp. on using one of those under
Linux? I saw a keyboard for about $170 at Electronic Boutique, which
was basically one devoted to Midi, without any samples built in. That
seems to be the cheapest I can find which lets you connect it to a
computer....?

Also, I wouldn't be able to afford the AWE64 Gold card, so I'd be
limited to 512k of sound ram unless I bought add-ons. I should be able
to add as many custom samples as I need onto the hard drive with a
soft. syn, right?

Well, thanks in advance, everyone. Sorry for all these newbie-ish
questions, but I am sort of out of my element when it comes to this
sound stuff, and been too busy lately to be able to look around as
much as I'd like to.

Shawn

P.S. Of course if my $$$ keeps going the way it seems to be (down the
drain) these questions may be moot..hehe.  I fear I'll have to use a
sequencer without a keyboard and a soft. syn. without a sound card.
But the scary thing, is that it might actually work! ;)