number of problems...

i'm running debian 1.3.1 and i need whatever help i can get on all these
problems!

problem one: bitchx
i have bitchx73 installed, and i cannot get it to run properly.  when
run, it tells me the current term (defaulted to 'linux') doesn't have a
termcap entry.  upon starting, everything looks cool until it logs into
an irc server, and then the text wigs out (shifts to the right...which
setfont/clear doesn't fix, so i have to log out) and i can't see the
topic bar.  i telnet into my box at work and run bitchx fine, with topic
bar and all.  i've tried exporting  'ansi', 'vt100', and any other
guessable terms to the TERM variable with no avail.  has anyone else had
these problems running bitchx with debian out of the box?

problem 2: icmp firewalling
how do i prevent incoming icmp traffic (read: nukes) from coming into my
system?  using ipfwadm just yields the "unknown protcol" command when
specifying ICMP (using correct syntax...verified with many users).

problem 3: telnet lockups
when i telnet into my solaris box to run bitchx, the telnet session
locks upon loading bitchx.  i kill the pid and do it again, and it works
fine every time.  the first time i open a telnet session with my shell,
it totally locks up.  i find this error strange because it always
corrects itself on the second attempt.

problem 4: joystick
the joystick module in the debain 1.3.1 package doesn't work for my
2.0.30 kernel, and the joystick.tgz from the hardware compatability
howto (which links to sunsite) won't compile correctly

problem 5: xview (or not?)
xview clients from dselect claims that it needs xtoolfind (or something
like that), but it doesn't appear to be available.  is the actual xview
program in the debian distro, or just the libs?

problem 6: mpeg_play
this isn't necessarily a problem, because i switched to mtv, but i was
unable to run mpeg_play because i was missing libm.so.4 (with libc
installed).  shouldn't a module dependency notification come up if i
need something?

problem 7: windowmaker
i cannot get windowmaker to install because it doesn't believe i have
the xpm libs (although they are clearly in /usr/X11R6/lib/).  what is
causing this?

i appreciate any help that could be sent my way...thanks!

justin honold
jhonold@bigfoot.com