Re: dpkg

> Hi:
>
> I try to install X11 from cdrom that is download and recorded from ftp.
> When I use dselect to install some packages, some .deb packages are
> refused by dpkg. Even I use dpkg -i xlib* to install X11, error message
> like:
>
> dpkg-deb: /...directory/xlib6*.. not dbian format
>
> Does anybody have same problem before? Why the .deb that is download can
>
> not be accepted?

Ok, I'll bite (since you've asked three times).  Normally, questions on
debian-user get answered more quickly than - I thought somebody else would
have taken this one by now.

Most likely, you have a file named xlib.......... in your directory that is
not a .deb file.  Perhaps you also downloaded a xlib*.tar.gz file (an
upstream source package).

Try running 'dpkg -i xlib*.deb' instead.  Or even better, use the full
explicit file name.

(Of course, there is always the possibility that you have found a bug)

Cheers,

 - Jim