Re: Transfering system directories to new HD

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, C.L. Daugaard wrote:

> I've seen (and kept) posts on how to transfer a system to a new HD.
> what I'm stumped on is how this is done when /, /usr, and /home are on
> *separate partitions* and I want to keep it that way.  Can anyone tell
> me how this is done?  At this state the "find . -mount -depth
> -print|cpio -pdmv /newtempmount" method sounds like the most promising,
> but how this is done per partition is a mystery.
>
> My thanks to anyone who can help.

Following up on my own post:

It's almost there.  My thanks to the two who passed on good advice on
transferring the system directories to new partitions.  Everything looks
very good.  Unfortunately I get a kernel panic on boot, viz.

	VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00

I ran rdev on the kernel for the new root device and updated and
double-checked the info in the fstab and mtab files and the loadlin boot
file.  All of that seems exactly correct.

My guess is that "00:00" is a key to It's almost there.  My thanks to
the two who passed on good advice on transferring the system directories
to new partitions.  Everything looks very good.  Unfortunately I get a
kernel panic on boot, viz.

	VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00

I ran rdev on the kernel for the new root device and updated and
double-checked the info in the fstab and mtab files and the loadlin boot
file.  All of that seems exactly correct.

My guess is that "00:00" is a key to the problem, but I can't decipher
it.  Can anyone interpret this?

Thanks.

--
C.L. Daugaard