x clobbered and won't reinstall

My X has died and won't come back.  I had several windows open, making
lyx, running dselect, and a few windows on an alpha.  Then I attempted
to try xfishtank, and the display froze.  No mouse, no keyboard, no
nothing.

I telnetted to the alpha from another machine, and all of the jobs were
gone, though they still appeared on the linux display.

I telnetted to the linux box, and rebooted.  The display hung when
trying to start xdm, but it could still be reached by telnet.

I've removed & reinstalled xbase, xserver-s3, xlib, and xvga16.  I then
ran XF86Setup (from xvga16), and reconfigured.  It hung starting the
xserver.

The only way I've found to get the console back is to reboot; simply
killing X, which takes all available cycles (runs at just shy of 100%
endlessly).

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this, short of a complete
reinstall?

rick