libtermcap, tputs, and clisp

I'm trying to recompile the clisp package,  which installs and compiles
it's own gnu readline library.  The display routines are having problems
locating functions such as "tputs",  which the comments in the source code
indicate should come from the locate termcap library.  I'm using the most
current version of the ncurses/termcap libs in unstable .. is there a
problem with them?

	Secondly,  do we have a standard GNU readline library someplace
that I could just link clisp to,  rather than having it compile it's own
lib?

                     					Will

			         harpo@udel.edu
               		       lowe@cis.udel.edu