Re: Debian + PC with multi RS... port -> n x (text dumb terminal + printer)

     Thank you once again, you are so kind to me, but after sending _I_
realized that I may have been cryptic, I'm so sorry...
     I don't want to use the same output that I send to the display in
order to drive the printer, just the opposite thing: I wonder whether or
not I can have a Linux box "talk"  SEPARATELY though via ONE ONLY SERIAL
LINE with a console AND a printer; or do I need two serial lines and two
separate serial ports?

     I my previous two messages I was meaning: sending output to the
screen and getting input from the console - from the point of view of the
code of the application running - does not change anything if the session
is on a dumb terminal rather than on the main console (*), so now:

  1) what about sending output TO A PRINTER which is NOT ON A PARALLEL
     PORT (lpt1, lpt2, ...) but is instead on a serial line? (Maybe I just
     need to write software which sends output to its stdout instead of
     stdprn, and that output is merely redirected to a com port... maybe
     such multiuser environments have typical and by now "traditional"
     solutions to my question... that's why I said I lack the basics.)
  2) (already reproposed above) could that serial line be the same that
     goes to the dumb terminal?
     If yes, would the OS menage the distinction between the two devices
     or should _my_application_ (or some wrapper) be aware of the hardware
     each session runs on and eventually take care of sending special
     characters to say "this goes to the display, this goes to the
     printer" or should I just have two distinct cables run from the Linux
     box to the place where the dumb terminal and the printer are?

(
  (*) Nothing changes both if your application just appends output at the
  bottom of the screen using stdout/stderr and if you use curses to have
  full screen text output and input (curses uses infos from termcap or
  terminfo, say to drive a VT100 or much probably also a Wyse like the
  ones you have or plenty of other types...; if curses can handle the type
  of terminal you have connected, _your_ software won't need worry about
  what terminal the session is actually on.
)

     I suppose your energies are exhausted by now... but I still hope that
someone will give me a clue.

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will return even when I'm not at home.