Re: looking for opinions on scsi adapter cards

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 09:57:23PM -0400, butch wrote:
> i am looking to build my own computer system and i think scsi is the best
> way to go for pure performance. so iwas wondering about what the members
> here like?

This is becoming a FAQ.  :)

There was a long thread about this not long ago.  Without going into
details, the unanimous answer is:

Do not buy Adaptec.  They're fine for Windoze but not prime-time on Linux.

Buy a BusLogic adapter if you need reliability and high performance
at a good price.  The FlashPoint LT is a great, inexpensive adapter.
It may not be supported by the Debian boot disks though.  I haven't
looked into this yet.  The BT-948 is most certainly supported.  Mylex
recently bought BusLogic.  http://www.mylex.com

Buy a DPT adapter if you need fancy features like RAID and/or you can
afford it.  I don't know their URL.  (http://www.dpt.com ?)

Also read the Linux SCSI-HOWTO (somewhat dated, it says FlashPoint
adapters don't work and that they're slow -- both points being absolutely
false.)  http://www.dandelion.com/linux has the latest BusLogic info
on Linux.

Jeff