Re: question on network security

The Unix workstations in your work environment are running what is called
"NIS".  This allows for machines to collectively share information between
one another, like password files, disks, etc.   I would ask around to see
if your machine is in 'netgroups'.  Netgroups is basically a list of
trusted machines on your NIS server, somewhat of a domain controller.  If
you are in that list, other machines will request information from yours.
I would not be weary over these 'attacks' as they are most likely not from
users, but just NIS broadcasts from related programs/daemons that run from
boot-up. Our Sun machines run NIS+, basically the same as NIS, but more
secure.  My linux box is not in netgroups and I don't get such broadcasts
to my machine.

Dennis

--
dpk <dpk@egr.msu.edu>, Systems/Network         |  work: 353.4844
Division of Enginnering Computing Services     |  page: 222.5875