root and .rhosts file

Hi

I'm a student programmer at the Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science,
Odense University in Denmark.

I've installed Debian 1.2 on one of our PC's in the Unix network. This
works great (not surprisingly).

Now I've installed Debian 1.3.1 on another PC, and I can't get this new
machine to accept root rsh requests from our primary server (running
SunOS), or any other machine, for that matter. Both Debian machines have
the same .rhosts file in the root homedir, but the 1.3.1 host gives
permission denied replies.

BTW: I'm not using shadow passwords on any of the systems.

I'm lost, and if I don't solve the problem my system manager will not let
me install Debian on new PCs in the department (Not Good!).

Jeppe Buk, student of computer science           Phone:   +45 6557 2347
IMADA, Odense University                         Email: buk@imada.ou.dk
Campusvej 55                          WWW: http://www.imada.ou.dk/~buk/
DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark       SMS (subject only): 20422557@sms.tdm.dk