Re: WantWEB/Linux/IP Masquerading - 56k speed?

A bit off-topic, but a few additional thoughts:

1) Achievable speed is totally dependent upon your telco's
outside plant characteristics. For example, I'm 2 1/2
miles from my local telco's switch. My ISP is about 6
miles from the same switch. I cannot get a *reliable*
connection over 28.8. Connects at 31200 and up drop after
10 to 45 minutes; *reliably*.

2) Here in Illinois (US), our local telco, Ameritech, only
*guarantees* data up to 9600 baud (which covers fax). If
you try for any faster you're on your own.

3) As I understand the current situation, not even the
manufacturers have gotten full 56k speeds consistently,
only low 50's. And this is on the test bench.

Regards, JohnT

"Improvement succeeded each other so rapidly,
that machines which had never been finished were
abandoned in the hands of their makers, because
new improvements had superceded their utility."

Charles Babbage 'On the Economy of Manufactures', 1832