Re: Sendmail and domain name

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, David Morris wrote:

: >I would take a look at the follwing lines in sendmail.cf:
: >
: ># my official domain name
: ># ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
: >domain
: >#Dj$w.Foo.COM
:
: Ah, so that is the $j variable it told me about. No wonder a 'grep $j *'
: showed nothing. OK, so I tried to change it (and reboot) but when I
: changed it to:
:
: Dj$gently
:
: or to
:
: Dj$gently.myispdomain.net
:
: Neither one solved the problem.

According to the (big) sendmail book from O'Reilly, you would change
this to

Dj$w.myispdomain.net

It would seem that you could also put

Djgently.myispdomain.net

Haven't tried these myself, just read it out of the book, so can't
guarantee it :/  However, from your description, 'hostname' returns
"gently", and that confuses sendmail.  If this is the case, use the
first example I gave.

Hope it works!

:
: Thanks, for the help.