Problems with AMD - related to 2.1.x?

Hi all,

I have the following problem: I want to NFS mount home directories from
different machines on a server. The server runs Debian 1.3.1 and the
kernel 2.1.40 - I chose the 2.1.x kernel on advice from the company where
I bought the system (reasons: SMP and support for Intel EtherExpress
Pro/100). I want to mount the directories with AMD automounter. The
problem is that the home directories get mounted, but when a user tries to
create a file, it only has zero length (i.e. it gets created in the
directory, but never has any volume). If a user copies a file from
somewhere, 'cp' complains 'permission denied', and the result is the same
- a file with zero length.

I tried the same thing on another computer - also running Debian 1.3.1,
netstd-nfs and amd packages are the same version, but it runs 2.0.29
kernel. On that machine, everything works fine - files are created or
copied as expected.

My conclusion is that there is something wrong between AMD and 2.1.x
kernels - but I would be very thankful for any comments or suggestions
how to solve the problem. OK - I could take 2.0.x kernel and patch it for
the EtherExpress Pro/100 card, but still, what I know, the support for SMP
is better in 2.1.x kernels...

Thanks in advance for any help.

			Jan

			schier@utia.cas.cz