How should I modify the /etc/init.d/boot file?

I wanted to apply the Swap-Space mini HOW-TO so I could use the same
swap partition on Windows (3.11 and 95) and Debian. In order to
accomplish this, I had to modify the way the swap is activated
(/etc/init.d/boot) and deactivated (/etc/init.d/{halt,reboot}). I
ended up creating a file /etc/init.d/swap, with takes the usual
parameters "start" and "stop", and modified the other files to
reference it.

Questions:

1. Is this the appropriate way to do this?

2. Did I break the Debian package system by doing this? Do any
   packages mess around with the files in /etc/init.d? Will these
   packages install properly after my modifications?

3. Would this be of sufficient general interest to warrant a real bug
   report and have the swap setup moved to its own file in
   /etc/init.d?

Any suggestions?

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm G.