read-only root and usr partitions

i don't have a ups but i do leave my linux system up all the time.  it
occurred to me that it might be a good idea to mount my root and usr
filesystems read-only, so that if the power cut out, they would be as
safe.

what do i need to do in order to mount these in such a manner?

i know of only one file specifically that is written to on those two
partitions: /etc/mtab.  is this the only one?  if not, what are the
others?  if so, where is the proper place to repartition it so i can
mount root and usr read-only?

thanks,

paul j. thompson
<thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu>