Re: samba doesn't load on boot???

	Hi!

> On Sun, Aug 31, 1997 at 09:48:43AM +0400, Pawel S. Veselov wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Paul Miller wrote:
> >
> > >For some reason or another samba doesn't load when I reboot.  I can load
> > >it manually by 'smbd;nmbd' without problems.
> > >
> > >here is my configuration:
> > >samba-des 1.9.16p11  Debian non-US distribution
> > >
> > >/etc/inetd.conf:
> > >netbios-ssn  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/smbd
> > >netbios-ns   stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/nmbd
> >
> > smbd and nmbd are not inet programs. They should be runned as daemons.
> >  Insert calls for 'smbd -D' and 'nmbd -D' in your rc files.
>
> Sorry, that is incorrect. With -D flags, they run as daemons;
> without (the default), they run from inetd.

Right. You do not need to run sumba as a daemon unless you expect it to be
very heavily loaded (a lot of Win... clients). In this case you run it as an
inet
program and it is not supposed to load at boot time. As a matter of fact it
is not supposed to load at all until something appears on the 137-139 udp or
tcp ports.

	feri.