Re: Modem Test?

Unless you mispoke, I believe you may be misusing /dev/modem.  /deb/modem
is not a device itself, only a sym link (the wisdom of which is frequently
disputed) which points to the serial device your modem is connected to.
You want /dev/modem to be a sim link pointing to /deb/ttyS0.  As
people have pointed out, you want /dev/ttyS0, not tty0.  Hope this helps.