Modem Test?

Hi

I've been trying to connect through my schools dial up system for sometime
now with no luck.  I'm starting to think that my modem is not configured
correctly.  I think that my modem is on /dev/tty0.  I deleted the device
/dev/modem that present initially and made a new symbolic from /dev/tty0
to /dev/modem.  Is there any diagnostic test I can run to see if /dev/tty0
is indeed the correct device driver?

Thanks
Patrick